Search To Involve Pilipino Americans (SIPA) is looking for an experienced entrepreneurial person to join our organization to provide business counseling services to small business owners and aspiring entrepreneurs in Los Angeles County. Founded in 1972, Search to Involve Pilipino Americans (SIPA) is a non-profit, community-based social service organization providing culturally and linguistically appropriate services to the Pilipino American and other immigrant, ethnic and low income communities, with a particular focus on Los Angeles’ Historic Filipinotown. SIPA’s services include children, youth and family programs, affordable housing, small business assistance and the facilitation of collaborative actions to meet the needs of the community. In 1999, SIPA helped found the Asian Pacific Islander Small Business Program (APISBP), a collaborative of five organizations whose mission is to support the development of entrepreneurs and small business enterprises in the various API communities.
- Job Title: Business Counselor
- Unit/Area: Community Economic Development Department
- Employment Status: Full-time Salaried
- Compensation: Dependent on Experience
- Start Date: Immediately
Organizational Mission: SIPA enriches and empowers generations of Pilipino Americans and others by providing health and human services, community economic development, cultural enrichment, and a place where all people of all backgrounds can come together to strengthen community.
Under the supervision of SIPA’s Executive Director, the Business Counselor is responsible for providing one-on-one counseling and technical assistance to small business clients in Historic Filipinotown and the broader Filipino American community in Los Angeles County. Duties include: assisting clients with startup ideas, feasibility studies, cost and financial analyses, developing financial projections, accessing capital and preparing loan applications, marketing strategies, business planning, bookkeeping, e-commerce, employment law, permits and licensing and other topics. The Business Counselor must create and maintain client files, including services performed for each client and coordinate his/her work with the API SBP director and staff of the collaborating agencies. The Business Counselor is expected to develop and coordinate program events such as training programs, workshops, expos and fairs. Occasional weekends and late evenings are required for conducting business-related workshops and seminars. The Business Counselor is also involved in community-wide business development and marketing strategies.
Specific Responsibilities and Duties:
- Provide client consultation including development of business and marketing plans
- Assist clients in preparing financial projections and packaging loan applications
- Expand current resource manual/directory for clients
- Conduct strategic research and long-term program development activities
- Establish working relationship with financial institutions
- Develop strategic partnerships to conduct collaborative outreach events and workshops
- Attend weekly meetings, provide support and coordinate activities with API SBP
- Create and maintain client files, provide regular progress reports
- Lead organizer/coordinator of SIPA Entrepreneur Training Program (ETP), a classroom-based, 24-hour course covering all aspects of small business start-up and operations.
- Conduct financial coaching training with clients to fulfill the Governor’s Office of Business and Economic Development’s GO-Biz Technical Assistance Expansion Program (TAEP).
- Minimum two (2) years of experience in personal finance, business assistance/consulting, or related field, or as owner/operator of a small business.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree; Bachelor’s degree in Business or related field preferred; an MBA would be a plus but is not required.
- Strong general business knowledge including areas such as finance, marketing, operations.
- Experience working with Filipino and/or other immigrant/ethnic clientele.
- Good organizational, planning, and coordination skills. Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Excellent analytical, interpersonal, networking and presentation skills.
- Computer experience including Microsoft Office, Excel and DataBase applications.
- Strong initiative, ability to develop projects from the ground up and work independently.
- Ability to work flexible hours (including evenings and weekends).
- California driver’s license and access to an insured automobile.
- Fluency in Filipino/Tagalog is preferred; experience with and/or understanding of cultural nuances of Filipino/ Filipino American business owners is preferred.
How to Apply:
Please submit your resume and cover letter for immediate consideration to email@example.com.
Application Deadline is June 15, 2020 or until position is filled.
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.